Custom Search
CURRENT MOON

Emigrant creek problems??

A place to discuss all things that affect the environment.

Moderators: Scizz, Prof, maxi

Emigrant creek problems??

Postby Prof » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:37 am

As alot of you are aware, I like to fish Emigrant creek at the end of Crosby's lane, but lately there has been hardly any fish at all??

Also in this stretch of the creek I have noticed that the water in this particular area is very discoloured , the Arum lillies that grow on the banks have been either killed or severly affected by whatever is in the water?? At times I have seen oil like slicks on the surface in this area as well ??

Above this area of the creek at the Tintenbar oval the water is crystal clear coming from up stream, also below this area around the beginning of Cumbalum the water is a reasonable colour for a tidal creek.

Rous water have put a notification on either side of the bridge at Tintenbar and also on the shops front door to warn people of blue green algae in the creek, but feel there is a bit more going on than just algae??

Here are a few pics to show what i mean.

IMAG1259.jpg

IMAG1270.jpg

IMAG1253.jpg

IMAG1257.jpg

IMAG1258.jpg

IMAG1261.jpg

Does anyone have any thoughts on this ??

Also The area at the end of Crosby's will have limited access over the next 6 weeks as the owners of the property are harvesting the stands of Flooded gum to chip up and take to the co generation plant at Broadwater , anyone have thoughts on this ??

I will be sending an email to the DPI to see what they can do with regards to this section of the creek, in my opinion the creek in this area now is almost dead apart from the bloody carp ??

A not happy Prof. :cry: :cry: :cry:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Soft Plastic's, cold beers, wet lines & good times!!
Prof
Site Admin

Re: Emigrant creek problems??

Postby maxi » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:53 pm

does the algae normally kill the lillys ??
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy cow...what a ride!"
maxi
Site Admin

Postby smackmaa » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:04 pm

Yeah I noticed it looked terrible the other week as well. Its odd because you usually head upstream to find the source of the pollution however, it must be really localised given that upstream looks pretty good. I did head up to killen falls trying to nail some carp and it looked good up there? BG Algae signs up there too though? Mystery, I wonder if DPI will respond.
Flathead 70cm --- Bream 39cm --- Whiting 40cm --- Bass 39cm --- GT 45cm --- Tailor 59cm --- Jewfish 73cm
smackmaa

Postby Prof » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:05 am

As far as I'm aware, blue green algae doesn't kill plants, but the water Oh May have something to do with it. ??
Prof
Site Admin

Postby pink nipper » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:38 am

Prof,

There's certainly something not right up there. Since around November last year it's
been getting worse and I fear for the population of bass and EPs. The lack of rain may
be a contributing factor but having said that you'd think it would be crystal clear up there
instead of a strange yellow colour. :problem:

I haven't bothered to fish up there at all this season because of it but maybe some
decent rains will flush it out soon. :fishing:

My own local creek is getting hammered at the moment also with road works and
new bridges going in literally a few feet from the bank. Lots of native trees and
mangroves lost bankside but I guess that's progress. :shock:

Nip. : winky:
Having fun fishing is half the fun and half the fun is all the fun there is
pink nipper

Postby Prof » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:48 pm

Did some basic pH tests......
Near Flathead lane Cumbalum pH 7.3
Beginning of Old Bangalow rd pH. 6.0
At the Common on George st Tintenbar pH below 6.0
Tintenbar oval pH neutral 7.0

So there is definitely something going on between Cumbalum and Tintenbar ???
Prof
Site Admin

Postby pink nipper » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:54 am

Prof,

Would be interesting to get oxygen levels, water temperature,
and some other key indicators like the actual levels of blue/green
algae present. :problem:

It may pay to contact the water sampling laboratory at Southern
Cross University to see if they are willing to do analysis on
some water samples and what is involved to do them. :think:

There may be other things in the water,
if you can find out what they are then
you can possibly find where the muck is coming from.

Nip. : winky:
Having fun fishing is half the fun and half the fun is all the fun there is
pink nipper

Postby dags910 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:29 am

the low pH usually would indicate a low dissolved oxygen and high CO2, if the problem involves excessive algal growth from high nutrient's the pH will fluctuate over the day ie low at dawn to high at dusk from photosynthesis in the algae, to me it looks more like a chemical maybe herbicide, blue green algae is quite easy to spot (bright blue green particles floating on the edges) and i have never heard of it killing plants or fish but is toxic to most mammals
PB's: BASS: 42cm, KING: 65cm, GT: 37cm, YELLA: 52cm, FLATHEAD: 62cm
dags910

Postby smackmaa » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:17 am

There may be another thing going on.. Most floodplain areas of the north coast will be potential acid sulfate soil areas and with the dry summer we've had, the reduced water in the soil would have allowed exposed soils to oxidise in to acid and then being released into the creek at high tides or rain events, hence the lower pH. Just a theory but may be part of the issue...
Flathead 70cm --- Bream 39cm --- Whiting 40cm --- Bass 39cm --- GT 45cm --- Tailor 59cm --- Jewfish 73cm
smackmaa

Postby Prof » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:26 am

I have noticed that part of the process for removing the stands of timber fro the property ,they have had to grade or cut in new access roads for the equipment to get around...so there would have been exposed soils washing off into the creek in this area??

Another thing is there has been an awful lot of debris on the water in the past 3>4 months, mainly sticks and branches etc,. so maybe all the rotting vegetation has been a contributing factor??

I'll do so further follow ups and see what comes to light ??

Will be interesting to see what happens over the next 6 weeks while they are harvesting the timber??

Cheers.
Prof
Site Admin

Return to Discussion Board for Environmental Issues