Custom Search
CURRENT MOON

Stop the super trawler !!

A place to discuss all things that affect the environment.

Moderators: Scizz, Prof, maxi

Stop the super trawler !!

Postby Prof » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:59 pm

The federal government in it's wisdom is planning to lock fishers out of vast areas of ocean for no other reason than it may snare a few green preferences at the next election and at the same time is allowing one of the largest trawlers in the world to come here to catch small pelagic fish.

This trawler has a history of leaving fish stocks decimated where ever it has been in the world.

Most recently it has been working in South African waters but fish stocks are now not viable for it in those waters.

Bet you can't guess where all the fish it catches in Australian waters are destined to go.

That's right...... SOUTH AFRICA....!!!!!!

Fishers generally do not agree with a lot of what "Get Up" gets up to but on this occasion I believe that fishers and greens should unite and send a clear message to the Federal Government that this is not in the best interests of the country.

This one ship has the potential to upset the whole marine food chain in Australian waters.

They claim that they will only take 5% of the total available stocks but think about this......

What if this ship sits off the Mid North Coast of NSW for a couple of months and fills it's hold with fish from this area. That would be 5% of the total Australian population of bait fish taken from one small area.

What effect do you think that would have on the local fish stocks not to mention the commercial and recreational fishing industries and tourism in this area.

I encourage you to sign the petition at http://stopthetrawler.net/ and/or make your feelings known to your local federal member.

I know many of you will already be on top of this subject and I apologise for doubling up but I have sent this to my entire data base.
Soft Plastic's, cold beers, wet lines & good times!!
Prof
Site Admin

Re: Stop the super trawler !!

Postby shep » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:56 am

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/political ... 25oib.html

Maybe they are starting to listen, MAYBE!!!! :wtf:
shep

Return to Discussion Board for Environmental Issues