Custom Search
CURRENT MOON

Ningi Creek today

Moderators: Scizz, Prof, maxi

Ningi Creek today

Postby Feral » Tue May 11, 2010 3:24 pm

I had been toying with the idea of giving Ningi creek a run, Tomca did a report the other day on the kayak site where the Flatties were on the chew there, so that sealed it for me, time to chase some flathead. So with the weather forecast for today being perfect I develop a problem with my eyes - I couldn't see myself going to work!

So launched about an hour after high tide and had a bit of an explore around the island and up in to the creek area itself. Nothing huge, rotten bait (bream) kept getting in the way of catching flatties, but for once the bream put up a bit of a fight, one even getting a couple of clicks out of the drag on my light bass gear.

Tried lures and plastics, one hit on the plastic by a small flattie that was not even hooked, just clamped down on the tail of the plastic and spat it out when he got close to the yak, (could see the hook in front of his nose the dopey bugger) everything else caught on scorpion 35's and a micro mullet.

Feral

Re: Ningi Creek today

Postby saratoga » Tue May 11, 2010 4:37 pm

Good to see the scorpions out for a swim <: ... a very underrated lure for bream/bass but a consistent lure .. and you can afford to lose a few !! Thanks for the report mate .. do you have a lease for your paddle? Or some other system
When I die don't let the missus sell my fishing gear for what I told her I bought it for!
saratoga

Postby Feral » Tue May 11, 2010 4:45 pm

The curly lead in the bottom of the yak is actually a paddle leash, but I use a bit of clothes line rope for the paddle, (you can see a bit of it in one of the photos; dark blue 3mm nylon rope) I save the fancy leash for when I want to leash the rod! Although I have been known to attach it to the lip grippers and use it to tow big fish in shallow so I can get out and deal with them safely!
Feral

Postby saratoga » Tue May 11, 2010 6:55 pm

Thanks mate .. great pics ... I'll have to make something up for my paddle .. it's always slipping off the yak .. when casting etc ::"
When I die don't let the missus sell my fishing gear for what I told her I bought it for!
saratoga

Postby maxi » Tue May 11, 2010 8:18 pm

are your eyes better tonite mate ????? ... <:

great stuff feral ... those scorpions look like they do work well up there ..

loosen off the drag mate and have some fun .....

pics are hot and very clear ... thanks ..

maxi
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy cow...what a ride!"
maxi
Site Admin

Postby Prof » Tue May 11, 2010 8:24 pm

Great work Feral, well done mate. ':'

You may need to use a stinger hook for those plastics mate, the bloody flatty do the same down here. ::)) ::)) :fishing: :fishing:

Cheers :glug: :glug:
Soft Plastic's, cold beers, wet lines & good times!!
Prof
Site Admin

Postby pink nipper » Thu May 13, 2010 4:37 pm

Feral,

It's interesting how with all these new expensive Japanese hard body lures available today that the humble Micro Mullets and Scorpions still catch plenty of fish. :smile:

Nip. ;-)
Having fun fishing is half the fun and half the fun is all the fun there is
pink nipper

Return to Fishing reports