Custom Search
CURRENT MOON

Best place to launch at CHD

Moderators: Scizz, Prof, maxi

Best place to launch at CHD

Postby dan23 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:08 pm

Gday,

Just a quick question, I'm meeting up with a mate up at Clarrie Hall tomorrow. Neither of us have fished it by boat before and just wondering if any of you blokes can suggest the best spot to launch to get into some action.

Also any tips would be appreciated as I'm no expert on fishing dams. I've read that casting to the edges of lillypads and letting lures sink down then rolling em out is effective there. I also might try flipping some frog lures onto the pads.

cheers.
The World Is My Oyster Rack

Jew - GT - Jacks - Bass
dan23

Re: Best place to launch at CHD

Postby maxi » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:28 pm

Crams farm is the place to launch dan ...

good access and ramp available, just check the opening and closing times ...
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy cow...what a ride!"
maxi
Site Admin

Postby dan23 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:00 pm

Thanks for that Maxi. Looking at google that is the fishy looking area too.

Sadly though according to the Tweed newspaper the dam has been closed to all recreational activities including fishing due to a blue green algae outbreak. I've got the feeling it is more of a warning than an enforced closure but my mate didn't want to tow his boat down from Brisbane on the off chance we'd get locked out which is fair enough. Looks like it would have been pretty windy out there anyway.
The World Is My Oyster Rack

Jew - GT - Jacks - Bass
dan23

Postby Feral » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:35 am

The Crams farm area is the only Boat ramp Dan, you can launch yaks and canoes from near the wall if you dont mind lifting it over the small fence and carting it a little distance.

Last time I was there they had a weed barrier just upstream of the ramp, so you couldn't access all the fishy looking weed beds on google earth! But the rest of the dam is probably the most spectacular dam around since they trashed Lenthalls. Well worth a visit. Just a pity there is no camping there or I would be a regular, its just to far for a day visit, Usually means 3am leave home, get home about 9pm for me.

Pretty sure from memory it is electric only.
Feral

Return to dams creeks and rivers...