Custom Search
CURRENT MOON

What Leader Are You Using

Moderators: Scizz, Prof, maxi

What Leader Are You Using

Postby squidgie » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:20 pm

well might as well start this of the leaders i'm using at the moment are Sunline Basic FC and Sunline FC Rock both are Fluorocarbon and they are bloody good any one that read B n B knows i use no other when breaming or flathead fishing , Basic FC hold 300mts and FC Rock hold 100mt and both cost around $20, 6lb & 8lb FC Rock is the one i use around pylons it seem to handle the oyster a bit better than others, Rock has three layer so if you scratch the outer layer the inner is still in tacked, i also use 3lb to 5lb rock at break walls, Basic FC 2LB, 3LB, 4LB, 6LB, 8LB i use for all other bream and flathead fishing some times i will use 12lb and 14lb Basic FC for flathead fishing depends on depth of water and if I'm targeting big crocodiles (big mouth brown bass) you can get dear line but i see no use in spending heaps on all that some tournament fishers tell use is the best.
I use to use Vanish but since they changed to 100% Fluorocarbon it seems to have gone like barb wire and just don't seem right as leader, i did buy around 200mt of 20lb vanish some years ago and I'm using it up for my outside in the deep blue leader so far no probs with heavy gear but no good for flathead fishing and i don't fish that heavy for flathead any more, there are heaps of leader material on the market but these two will do me.

cheers squidgie
squidgie

Postby vinnie » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:36 am

I use the Unitika flurocarbon for all my breamin and bassin'
I like the way it feels and casts. and it holds up really well against abraision
vinnie

Postby shortie » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:53 pm

I use yamatoyo flourocarbon. strong abrasion resistive. very fine and supple. not cheap.
shortie

Postby whatnow » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:17 pm

i use nitlon leader for bream and bass
pb's: 25kg black marlin, 34kg cobia, 88cm barramundi, 69cm flathead, 10kg dolphinfish, 7kg snapper 60.5cm mangrove jack, 9kg longtail tuna
whatnow

Re: What Leader Are You Using

Postby Paulus » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:24 pm

I think we have a little confusion about this.
Leaders ???? before i go further why are you using one at all, and in what situation.
The guys that have posted a little come back???
Paulus
Paulus

Postby dan23 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:06 am

I use 10lb Yamatoyo Harris Fighter mono leader for topwater breaming. It makes a big difference with the smaller lures like px45, towadi and small cicadas. I find flurocarbon can drag the lure under and destroy the action. It is also less stiff so you get a bit better action.

In FC I run FC rock or Platypus Stealth.

For heavy stuff I like Black Magic subtle as it ties really good knots and doesn't destroy lure action like heavier flurocarbon can.
The World Is My Oyster Rack

Jew - GT - Jacks - Bass
dan23

Postby Feral » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:21 am

In heavy leader I use Black Magic or Cajun (prefer the cajun, but getting hard to get) usually in 40lb
Light stuff I like the yozuri "egging leader" cheap, supple and thin! use mainly 6lb, but have 4, 8 and 10 as well, bought when the 6lb was not available!

If I run out I dont mind straight platypus mono, keep a spool in the bottom of the tackle bag.
Feral

Postby Paulus » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:30 am

Hey Guys
It's good to see you guys are using lines that are true leaders, words like soft supple are generally not used by most when talking about leaders.
Anything tied to the end of a braid should be a medium hardness line, give a little to take the shock loading, which these so called FC's aren't capable of.
The reason I put hardness factors against the so called mono type lines is, i used to use a particular line as a leader and it went off the market, when i measured the diam, then looked at the breaking strain compared these all against the hardness factor, I found i had a number of low cost lines available to me, that group all acted the same.
Try it,, Paulus
The word leader is not a high cost FC.
http://www.pcwi.com.au/fishing/index.htm
Paulus

Return to Lines and leaders