Custom Search
CURRENT MOON

Fishing Line and Knot Breaking Strain Tests

Moderators: Scizz, Prof, maxi

Fishing Line and Knot Breaking Strain Tests

Postby Paulus » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:26 pm

Hi Guys, I have this on a few sites, thought you may be interested, if not delete it.

This all started with me needing to know what, Was and Wasn't a GOOD LINE.
A little about the Tests, in part of my business, we run a testing laboratory, so I understand testing procedures. I do this as a hobby at home, so I hope it all helps. Results to date have been more than interesting.

Line Test results, displayed as the average of 3 tests, marked as (A).
I will update the list as I receive new Lines / knots to test.
As the list is updated I will put up a post on this site.
You will have to visit to see the updates.
http://www.pcwi.com.au/fishing/index.htm

Line is tested in Kg then results Calculated using, x 2.2 to get Lbs.
Braid diameter will be measured, flat (as most are), then wound up (twisted) measured again, the 2 results added and divided by two, to give an average (A) size in overall thickness, you could call it bulkiness, the amount taken up on your reels.

(A)= Average, (B)= Best, D= Diameter. Kt= Knot strength,,, what knot?

I am always looking for line to test, so mail me 3 mts of your line in an envelope, no spool, I will test no charge. Knot Tests send 1 metre of line with the knot in the centre, the line (at least the lesserline) should also be tested for the knot result to be meaningful.
Info required Brand name & Product type, Colour, Stated Lb / Kg, Diameter, if a Knot then type, and your email address to Send the results to. MAIL TO, Line Test. 13 Alhambra ave, Cardiff, 2285 NSW.

I Never make the comment, that a fish was caught on a particular line strength, unless it's been pretested.
Visit to see the results
Hope it Helps, If you have any questions fire away.
Paulus
Paulus

Re: Fishing Line and Knot Breaking Strain Tests

Postby Paulus » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:21 am

Hey guys
Just a few more lines tested
Rapala Blue Braid
4 lb, 6 lb, 6 lb pale blue, 8 lb, 10 lb, 14 lb.
Avanti Seabass lime Braid, 10 lb, 12 lb.
Thank you Results at

You know, you buy line in good faith, its not like it's a buy and try situation "Oh I do not like it" here take it back and give me a refund.
I had some leader material sent to me to test, thought this is 1.32mm in diam, at that you expect 165 lb maybe even as high as 200 lb.
I fired up the big system to do the test with. It went 18 kg as a one off shot that's 40 lb. Thought this can not be right, so retested the material in my standard sysem. No change, I have had line that is one third that diam, do much better than that.
It just seemed to melt away under tension.
Paulus
Paulus

Postby Scizz » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:35 am

yeh m8 alot of fisherman dont understand the importance of using quality line and leader,having worked in a fishing shop you see so many people come in and buy a relatively good quality outfit and grab the cheapest spool of line they can find to put on it,you try to explain to them that the line is one of the most important parts of a setup and should be of equivalent or better quality than the outfit they are using,but most think that you are just trying to get them to spend more money and go with the cheap line anyway,then wonder why they are busting fish off or getting heaps of twist etc
Live every day as if it were your last.!!!!!!!!!!
Scizz
Site Admin

Postby Paulus » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:50 pm

Hey Guys
Upated the list again.
Iron Braid 6 lb, 10 lb, 16 lb, Sunline castaway 10 lb, 16 lb, Sunline saltwater jigger 8 XX lb.
More to come shortly, and some knots.

Thanks for all the info and line Guys, keep it coming.
Its good to see that some of you are starting to look at the list, before the purchase of line.
Thanks for all the contact, emails and Pm's
Thank you Results at
www.pcwi.com.au/fishing/index.htm
Paul
Paulus

Postby Paulus » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:24 pm

Hey Guys
Just updated the line testing section, with some thing new.
You now have for all the mono and flurocarbon lines. A new type of line test that has been listed, a hardness factor, the number in the first box is a hardness number, you can now compare lines of similar diameter against each other. I have done this from retained samples on hand, not all of them done though, I will rely on you guys to fill the gaps.
As well.
Updated 14,04, 2009 Braid, Iron Braid, 6, 10, 16 lb. Sunline castaway 10 & 16 lb
Mono, Javis walker 25 lb, Penn 40 and 50 lb, Mustad thor 14 lb and Mustad UL 20 lb
Leader Material, Sunline siglon low vis 38 lb, Penn 10X Super Tough leader 20 lb

Paulus
see it all at
Paulus

Postby Prof » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:38 pm

Noticed in the leader section of ya line testing there is no reference to the Vanish leader material mate??

Are you planing on doing tests on it aswell??

Cheers.
Prof
Site Admin

Postby Paulus » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:13 am

Thanks prof
I do have a berkley Vanish up in the Mono type lines section I have never seperated FC out.
Maybe should have called the list plastic lines.
I have a hardness against the 20 lb of 95.9 .
Should you want the hardness tested of the vanish range i will need some samples, For this test i need 100 mm of line.
To do a breaking strain test i need 3 mts.
If you have some line you would like to get tested, would be great
Thanks
Paulus.
Paulus

Postby Paulus » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:41 pm

Hey Guys
I have done a few additional lines.
Black Magic Supple trace line. Black Magic leader. Black MagicTough trace.
lots of names seems this line has a few differing types, and the results vary, so keep an eye out which one you
are using.
More Knot results listed.

We spent a day playing with a series of knots, on the the line test machine.

The outcome ///////
If you are putting a double (loop) in braid, test a knot before you tie it to the leader. Pick up a weight with it.
Put a line clip on a weighted bag, put the loop in the clip, wrap the other end of the line around a piece of 90 x 35 mm pine timber a few times, and try to lift the weight up by your shoulder. You may find the knot may slip a little, if it does, it needs to lock, this should be done before the line is tied to the leader, or it will break, at the leader join prematurely, or if its an unsuitable double knot it may fail.

We tried the 12 turn Bimini Twist and found the Sufix braid slipped, so went to a 20 turn, we still had some minor slippage, the following locking knot needs more work.
If this is tied to the leader the slight slippage puts additional strain on one leg of the loop causing the leader knot to be cut and or break prematurely.

I tried the same Bimini Twist knot on Whiplash pro and got 21.36 lb on a 23.1 lb braid, I must have made 30 tests, and results ranged from 7.5 lb to 21.36 lb, 20 to 35 turns, great if they grip and far to many did'nt.
At this stage this knot is a hit and miss item.
Keep in mind, to test each knot individually, before testing a multi knot complete line system.

I now have an electric Braider / plaiter and will try that, for the braid.

Joining the braid loop to the leader, the improved double blood was the best, in all situations, but may well not work on heavy/hard lines, as the mono/FC will not form around the braid. We struggled with 30lb Mustad thor (test 41 lb) but it worked.

A thin 6 to 20 lb / small diam braid does not need a double, if tied to a soft .300 mm / 15 lb or less mono leader, the braid folded and an improved double blood knot, will give all the strength you need. If you go to a 20 or 30 lb leader you will need a double in the braid (2 legs) to spread the load over the leader.

Note: I know that a lot use fluorcarbon leaders, todate with all the testing I have done, have found that softer leaders perform better at the braid to leader knot, soft leader material holds and suports the braid better, and does not slip. With hard leaders the braid also cuts its self.

I had some braid and leader dropped off today for testing, leader hardness was 92 and the knot broke at 4.82 lb, I re-tied the knot with a Improved double blood and re-tested it went to 6.07 lb.
Then I changed the leader to a similar sized one, with a hardness of 83.7 re-tied the improved double blood and tested got 8.32 lb.

Thanks with the help Scott
Not completed yet.
Paulus
Paulus

Postby Paulus » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:43 pm

Hey Guys i have updated the list on 23,04, 2009 with the following.

Braid, Sunline Super PE 6 lb, Berkley FireLine 15 & 20 lb, Berkley Spiderwire red 8 & 10 lb, Power Strike 7 lb, Blue Water Fishing 30 lb, Iron Braid 30 & 50 lb, PE Fibre Braided line 30 lb.

Mono type, Javis walker 25 lb, Penn 40 and 50 lb, Mustad thor 8 lb, Mustad Pro Select 12 lb, Berkley Vanish Fluoro 10 lb, Iron Flex 15 lb,

Leader Material, Jinkai Leader 40, Black Magic Supple trace, Black Magic line and Black Magic Leader, lots of names with differing results.
Extra hardness numbers
More knots, Bimini Twist
Still have some more to do.
Paulus

Hope it helps
Paulus

Postby Paulus » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:20 pm

Hey Guys

I always thought that if you got a particular brand line, colour would not matter as far as the breaking strain goes, but I have been thinking wrong.

Some very surprising results in the lower breaking strains.

Just goes to show, I tested some 7 lb line, small diam for the breaking strain, thought I might go the 4 lb, found it twice as thick and broke even higher than the 7 lb, wrong line on the spool. Finally got some 4 lb, nice and thin. You can never be quite sure.

Updated 27,04,2009 with

Braid, Sunline Super PE 6, 8, 10, 12, 15, 20 lb white and green, Berkley FireLine 15, 20 lb, Berkley Spiderwire red 8, 10 lb, Berkley FireLine Crystal 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 15, 20 lb, Berkley Whiplash Pro 4 lb, Power Strike 4, 7, 14? lb, Blue Water Fishing 30 lb, Iron Braid 30, 50 lb, PE Fibre Braided line 30 lb.
Mono type, Javis walker 25 lb, Penn 40 and 50 lb, Mustad thor 8 lb. Mustad Pro Select 12 lb,Berkley Vanish Fluoro 10 lb, Iron Flex 15 lb,

Leader Material, Jinkai Leader 40, Black Magic Supple trace, Black Magic line and Black Magic Leader, lots of names with differing results.

Extra hardness numbers

More knots, Bimini Twist, and more to do.

Got more line in will do as time is available.

Thanks guys.

Paulus

Postby Paulus » Thu May 07, 2009 10:40 pm

Hey Guys.
With the wind settling I have been doing a little fishing and have had little time, but its still happening, with more to come.

Updated 07,05, 2009. PLS Note;- for those that want to use the list commercially PLS contact me, before you do, thanks.

Braid, changed Woodstock Power Strike was shown as Power Strike, Bionic Braid pink 12lb, Platypus Sinking Braid 12lb, Platypus Super Braid 30 lb, Fins Original - Prt 50lb, Berkley FireLine Tracer 15 lb.
To come, Berkley FireLine Tracer 30 & 50 lb. also Pex Braid.
Note;- Sunline green colour verses white, with 6 lb white to come.

Mono type, previously done,,, Javis walker 25 lb, Penn 40 and 50 lb, Mustad thor 8 lb. Mustad Pro Select 12 lb, Berkley Vanish Fluoro 10 lb, Iron Flex 15 lb,

Thanks for sending the line in guys, We now have importers getting tests done and making use of this.
Paulus

see the results
Paulus

Postby Paulus » Wed May 20, 2009 11:58 pm

Hey Guys
I have been doing some fishing in the local lake and getting some very good results.
So I guess the tests have been on the back burner a little. But I have caught up, as can be seen

Updated 20,05, 2009.

Braid, Berkley FireLine Tracer 15, 30 & 50 lb. Berkley FireLine Crystal 8 lb, Sunline Cast away PE 30 lb, also Pex Braid 50 & 60 lb.
Note;- Sunline green colour verses white, is interesting, the 6 lb white i am looking for.

Mono type,

Leader Material, Ande Leader 20lb
More knots, Bimini twist 70 turns, and a great albright, improved double blood in the same material.

I got a Bimini twist 70 turns combined with a very nicely made Albright to the leader, but then using the same material I made an improved double blood knot, with almost the same end result. Knots don't you hate them.

You can improve your braid knots, try running the line between your thumb nail and fore finger a few times to flatten it out, and to remove line twists, as its the twists that do the cutting.
Should you have any questions pls ask

Paulus
see the results
Paulus

Postby Paulus » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:52 pm

Hey Guys,
I got some more line you sent in and got it tested.
I have been up north, little fishing though.

Updated 25,06, 2009.

Braid, Amnesia yellow 30lb, Daiwa Team TD orange 4 lb and 6 lb, Woodstock Power Strike green 4 lb. Hi- Seas Grand Slam bright red 30 lb, Nitlon Giga 20 lb, Mustad Dynamite Ultra braid green 19 lb. Lines ain't lines.
Note;- Sunline green colour verses white, with 6 lb white,,, still to come.

Mono type, Berkley Trilene XL 6 lb & 9 lb, Yo-Zuri Hybrid 25 lb.

Leader Material, Ande Leader 20lb, Sunline Saltwater Special FC rock 50 lb.

More knots, Bimini twist 70 turns, Bimini twist 50 turns, and a great albright. Ted Donelans Knot fails with the Bimini twist 50. Thanks for your time Scott.

Paulus
Results at.
Paulus

Postby Paulus » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:02 pm

Hey guys

It's been a while, I have been catching a lot of fish, big flatties in the lake, but the line testing has been going on.

I have put in a new line test machine, to make it a little easier, heaps of $$$$.

A lot of new lines have been tested, some obscure braids, very nice and silky also some leaders.

I have also developed a new Bimini twist tool, makes great twists.

So, some of the lines that have been tested are, and updated the list today 08,08, 2009.

Braid, Amnesia braid yellow 30lb, Daiwa Team TD orange 4 lb and 6 lb, Woodstock Power Strike green 4 lb, yellow 10 lb, 15 lb, 50 lb, Hi- Seas Grand Slam bright red 30 lb, Nitlon Giga 20 lb, Mustad Dynamite Ultra braid green 19 lb. Power Pro moss green 20, 30, 50 lb, Berkley FireLine pink 4 lb, Sufix Performance new 6ply 6 lb yellow, Pelagic Spectra 10 lb, YGK Galis Ultra Jig-man X8 blue 33 lb, Calcutta Ultra green 10 & 15 lb, Fins Wind tamer yellow 4 lb, Sufix Performance orange 6 lb.

Lines ain't lines sol, sure ain't.

Hate to say it but look out for the last orange around rocks n snags.

Note;- Sunline green colour verses white, with 6 lb white,,, still to come.

Mono type, Berkley Trilene XL 6 lb & 9 lb, Yo-Zuri Hybrid 25 lb

Leader Material, Ande Leader 20lb, Sunline Saltwater Special FC rock 50 lb

More knots, Bimini twist 70 turns, Bimini twist 50 turns, and a great albright. Ted Donelans Knot fails with the Bimini twist 50. Thanks for your time Scott. Improved allbright in heavy leaders to braid lines.

Keep in mind that if you want a line tested send it in,,, that's what makes the list work.

Please note, that keping up with all this, as well as the testing is a job in it's self.

Paulus
Paulus

Postby Prof » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:12 pm

Thanks for all your updates mate!! :biggrin: :biggrin:

I'll doing some reading in here before my next purchase thats for sure!! :think: :think: :think:

Cheers. :drink:
Soft Plastic's, cold beers, wet lines & good times!!
Prof
Site Admin

Postby Paulus » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:54 am

Hi Guys

I have been doing a few more breaking strain tests on braids and a Mono Leader with interesting results.

I also made a video on using a Bimini Twist as a knot to join a heavy braid as a leader to a light braid main line, the breaking strain retained is 100% of the lighter braids strength.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j7X9-4foKg

When I was doing some strain tests on a leader, I accidentally put a small crease in the line, it was not a cut (I bent the line over a sharp 90 deg edge), the line got a small white spot in it, could not feel it, the sort of thing you may see in a knot / overlap or on a bend, the spot wound up in the centre of the test area, I thought I wonder what happens here, well it failed at 51% of the lines true breaking strain. This one had me thinking I may have to do a little more work in this area.

For the Latest Visit. http://www.pcwi.com.au/fishing/index.htm
Paulus
Paulus

Return to Lines and leaders