Custom Search
CURRENT MOON

Tweed Bream are smart!

from the sand to the stones..

Moderators: Scizz, Prof, maxi

Tweed Bream are smart!

Postby bettaman » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:45 pm

Went fishing today around some boat pontoons for bream. Noticed a heap of solider crabs and thought I would grab a few and give some bait fishing a go for a change.

I threw a few in to stir the bream up then casted in the hooked one. Bream race up to it, stared at it, the big bream take off. The small bream watch the other small fish hack at it before a small bream took the bait. Did the same again, but this time all the bream didnt go near the hooked crab. They learnt to stay away! The big bream knew this.

I thought, may be the big bream notice the leader. I had 12lb pound on. Got myself some 2lb, wow it like hair! probably to thin!

Come back the next day with the 2lb leader, that was a joy to try and attach to 6lb braid! This time i throw the hooked crab out straight up about 4 metres away from the pontoon. I see 12-15 bream around 30-35cm head straight for the crab and one takes it. BAM leader breaks at the hook (is there a special way to tie this on so its stronger?). Rehook same leader again. Fish stay away. Tried another spot, bream pause as they know something is up, may be they can see the leader? the hook is not showing.

I knew bream where kinda like this but not to the degree I saw. These fish must be use to fisherman. Im not sure how i can get those big bream? i think ill need to go to 4lb leader? maybe they will see this?

Might give up on this spot, i see people feed the bream from their houses. I think this bream are well feed and know how us fisherman work. Still i want to crack it, but something tells me to give up! may be thats common sense? about time that showed up! ::))
bettaman

Re: Tweed Bream are smart!

Postby Scizz » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:24 pm

^^:) ^^:) ^^:) ^^:) ^^:) ^^:)
Bream are way smarter than people give them credit for,especially the big ones and they have a good memory,when i started lure fishing for Bream i could catch good sized fish in good numbers on just about any lure or leader size,now you have to use very light leader and lures that not many people use.
Places where people feed them or places that get fished alot will always be harder areas to catch em,you will find that you might get one or 2 then you will have to move or change bait or both.
Live every day as if it were your last.!!!!!!!!!!
Scizz
Site Admin

Postby bettaman » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:38 pm

After today I dont know how I caught bream on SPs! must of foul hooked them in the mouth! <:
bettaman

Postby dan23 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:02 pm

Everything Scrote said is unfortunately exactly how it is. You'll also find that bream can go on and off the bite because of temperature, water clarity/quality or a million other reasons. Also you might find that 15 minutes before you arrive at a spot someone has already spent 2 hours throwing lures at the same fish (a major problem for tournament anglers). In those situations pretty much the only way to get them to strike is to pretty much do what what you did, go down to 4 or even 2lb but a double rod length. Make sure you're as far away and maximising your casting distance. Use little or no weight and often it's a bit un-enthusiast but dead sticking a gulp shrimp or worm is the only way. On top of that I've a perfectly placed and worked topwater can turn on shut down fish as it causes a reaction bite that can override their cautious nature, but only occasionally and if the conditions are right.
The World Is My Oyster Rack

Jew - GT - Jacks - Bass
dan23

Postby fisherman909 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:45 pm

It must be Qld bream that are dumb than because you can cast into the same spot for hours and still get them ::" ::" ::"

Matt
IT IS BETTER TO ASK FOR FORGIVENESS THEN TO ASK FOR PERMISSION
fisherman909

Postby dan23 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:00 pm

fisherman909 wrote:It must be Qld bream that are dumb than because you can cast into the same spot for hours and still get them ::" ::" ::"

Matt

What sort of depth, water clarity, fishing pressure? Bait or lures? I know Brisbane River bream are pretty aggressive and generally easy to catch but try chasing them on lures at places like Raby Bay and it can be a different story :think:
The World Is My Oyster Rack

Jew - GT - Jacks - Bass
dan23

Postby fisherman909 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:24 pm

mate I fish with yabies in shallow, clearish water and I go fishing in tallebudgera creek On the gold coast.

Matt
IT IS BETTER TO ASK FOR FORGIVENESS THEN TO ASK FOR PERMISSION
fisherman909

Postby pink nipper » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:00 pm

As far as I'm concerned all fish learn and are smarter than we give them credit for, especially the humble bream. :shock:

Interestingly with bream on lures, alot of the bream caught are also released nowdays
so they are once bitten twice shy and learning alot about lures. The first year I threw plastics
the bream just had to eat them but not so much now. Cranks a few years back slaughtered
bream for me but now you need the right crank for the right conditions. Blades just couldn't go wrong
but now it's the right blade for the right conditions as well. The size of the bream
caught on lures are also generally getting smaller, at least for me anyway.

Try fishing with lures for bream for an hour, see how you go. Then fish the same spot using
bread on an unweighted hook, or pink nippers, or mangrove crabs. Heaps of bream are there, just not
so many taking the lures... :problem:

Nip. : winky:
Having fun fishing is half the fun and half the fun is all the fun there is
pink nipper

Postby bettaman » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:44 am

Is this the end to fishing? :|
bettaman

Postby bettaman » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:45 pm

Went back today in the same area. I was at a spot where there was a small viewing platform. Noticed a whole heap of Bream swimming around the bottom of it.

It was 12pm so i suspect someone has just throw some food at them or they have learnt about lunch time. I had a blood worm wriggler on, thought id give it a go even though there wasnt much hope.

I went in like a ninja ducking my head (it seriously feel like i need camo at this place!) and casting over the wire barrier of the viewing platform. BAM they all went for it like bread in water hahah. I dont think they even looked at it at all. It seems thzt everyone wanted it before the other so they didnt miss out.

Got a nice sized bream, threw him back. But that was it, they weren't going for it again.
bettaman

Postby bettaman » Fri May 25, 2012 10:20 am

Well after a few weeks I think I have slightly out smarted the Bream.

I worked out a method of catching these fish. You only get one shot then its a 15 min wait before you can try the same location again. They can definitely see FC leader no matter what size! Not sure if its in worth using?

Some times you need to use ninja skills, fast and unseen. Ducking down low with swift actions lol.

I took the wife fishing to see if I can get her hooked. First cast catches a 33cm Bream beating my personal best of 31.5cm. Figures! ::))

Last weekend I caught a 36cm Luderick.
bettaman

Postby Scizz » Fri May 25, 2012 11:02 am

good one bud

m8 another tecnique that wasnt mentioned and works well on educated pontoon fish is switch baiting them

can do it by yourself but you realy need 2 people ,first throw in a small surface lure and get them looking up,when you have a bit of attention from the fish throw in a lightly weighted plastic,works a treat.

cheers
Scott
Live every day as if it were your last.!!!!!!!!!!
Scizz
Site Admin

Return to lanbased angling...